One decade after claiming the U.S. Open title, Nick Matthew–three-time world champion, three-time Commonwealth Games gold medalist and former world No. 1–announced his retirement from professional squash after the 2017-2018 season.
The current world No. 4 from Sheffield, England, will be competing his twelfth and final U.S. Open this October as the four seed in the first PSA Tour World Series event of the season.
“I’ve decided after a lot thought and talking with family and friends, this is going to be my last season on the PSA World Tour,” said Matthew in a video statement to his fans. “But it’s not sad, I’m really excited by the opportunity ahead in my last season ahead on the tour.”
Matthew, also known as “The Wolf”, reached his third career U.S. Open final last year against Mohamed Elshorbagy, in which he held a two game advantage before succumbing to an injury that forced him to offer his hand in the fifth game.
This year, Matthew is set for a first-round match up against Egypt’s world No. 20 Zahed Mohamed, on the first day of ASB GlassCourt play Saturday, October 7, at 4:30pm. Matthew dispatched Mohamed in a three-game round of sixteen match in 2015. Purchase October 7 tickets here.
“A big, big thank you to all the squash fans out there who have supported me throughout my career at home and abroad,” Matthew said. “The support has been absolutely amazing, I think this is my 20th season on the world tour, but I’ve been playing since the age of eight and have made so many friends around the world, thank you for your support. Hopefully I’ll see you around the world this year if you can come to watch me in my last season. But you won’t get rid of me that easily as I’ll be involved in squash forever. I’ve started my squash academy in the UK and US, the Nick Matthew Academy, to help produce the next generation of talent as well as to grow our amazing sport that’s given me so much.”
Watch Matthew’s full statement here.